Until the erection of our large hall in 1995, Maze Presbyterian didn’t need to bother too much about building anything. The last major projects were the School house (1872) and Manse (1874). Our forefathers were so keen to establish a work for God here that they had cleared all their debts, some £2000, by 1879. In days when most people had extremely little that was quite an achievement and we continue to benefit from their efforts and far sightedness.
These buildings were more than adequate for over 100 years as the movement of Presbyterians was towards Belfast. These congregations in the city in developing their ministry and work built much larger meeting houses and considerable halls. It was not without cost. But, they believed they had a mission and they worked towards fulfilling it.
The congregation in Maze have not been found lacking in vision and commitment. A very spacious new hall was opened in February 1995 beside the church building. With growing numbers of people attending worship each week the church building itself was getting cramped so the decision was taken to make the church bigger and more open while at the same time link it up the new hall, this was completed in May 2004.